Saturday, December 29, 2007

Patrick O. Nugent

Last night I went to see a movie called, PS: I Love You, it was a story of a young girl who loses her husband after 10 years of marriage through death. He writes her a series of letters that lasted a year after he was gone to help her with the lost of him.
Why do I mention this? Well it caused me to reflect on my marriage and what my husband has brought to me over the many years I have known him, which is close to 50 years. I met him when I was 14 years of age, almost a lifetime ago. I was awed by his looks and his abilities to be able to do anything. He made me laugh. I enjoy watching him move. He was a wonderful athlete, in fact he was the best. He played basketball and he was always the highest scorer, baseball the same, he was the clean up batter. When he hit the ball it always went over the fence. I went to see him play in any kind of weather. I was his greatest and best fan. I loved dancing with him, he struggle with his rhythm but it didn't matter because we had fun. I looked forward to every youth dance because i knew he was going to be there. He was tall, broad shouldered, light brown,wavy hair, he had a strong built but he wasn't fat. He was so adjell and quick. Along with being smart, quick witted, he could do math like a whiz, spell and had a killer testimony. I loved being with him. We had our first date when i was junior in high school, I was about 16. At the time he was dating my sister Joan. We went to a jazz concert. Pat has always like Jazz, the easy listen kind. I felt safe with him and he was going places and I wanted to go too. He told me often he was going to be a millionaire by the time he was thirty and I believed he would be and I wanted to be there with him when he did. He was at every activity I was at and participated, I saw him as a leader and a guy of influence. He sure did influence me. I felt beautiful around him. After we were married Pat help me develop confidence in what I couldn't do very well. I became a better, leader and reader because we would practice by having me read to him the scriptures. I believed in the power of the priesthood he held and he would pronounce blessing on me any time I would ask with abilities beyond myself. I adored him and he was my champion, my knight in shiny armor, my love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful! I see why Amy and I picked the Guys we did. Very similar, huh?!

dxeechick said...

That is so sweet! Uncle Pat was a stud! And I don't think I knew he dated Joannie first!